Once you get allocated an account with us…the very first thing you want to do (After changing your default password and editing your profile) is to create a contact list. A Contact List is kind of like an Address book. Its a list where all the contacts belonging to a group are stored. You can have as many contact lists as you want. For example, we have two contact lists for Email It users. One list is holding all the contact details for Email It paid users and another for all the free users.
Why have Multiple contact lists?
Well, its purely for segregation purpose. You can have all the contacts in one single contact list. As per our previous example, we can have all the email it users in one contact list and we can use “Custom Fields” to separate out the paid users from free ones. Some of Email It users seems to have them to avoid confusion. For example in a church you might have youth group contacts and elder contacts. The elders undertaking youth group might be in both the lists and since you cannot have same email with different custom field values, you are better off having a contact list.
How to create a Contact List?
In short, you can click on “Contact Lists” –> “Create a Contact List” –> Fill in the required details –> “Create”
But for those who want to know about each and every field listed in the wizard, please read along…
1) I am assuming you are logged into our control panel. From there on to the very left of your screen, you should see a label named “Contact Lists“. Click on it and that will open up the entire menu from which you need to select “Create a Contact List” from.
2) You will land onto the contact list creation wizard. Contact lists are used to store details about subscribers (people who have specifically requested to join your e-mailing list.) or leads (an individual or organization that expresses an interest in your goods or services). It may include their email address and other details such as name, company, age, etc.
The page is divided into four different sections – New List Details, Custom Fields, Visible Fields, and Company Details. While all those sections are important, if you dont want to dig too deep, just concentrate on New List Details and Company Details.
A) Lets go through the “New List Details” step by step…Some of the fields are usually filled out for you by default but you are free to change it. Do note that all these fields are List-Specific which means the details you enter will only apply to just that list you are creating.
- List Name – Give it any name for your own reference. Please be aware that the ‘name‘ will show in the subscription forms (For Eg. when one of your subscriber wants to unsubscribe)
- List Owner’s Name – This is the name that will be used when you send an Email Campaign out to this List.
- List Owner’s Email – This is used as a “From” address when you send your email campaign and when someone subscribes or unsubscribes.
- List Reply-to Email – This address is send along with your email campaign so if anyone clicks the reply button, it will the address you mention here.
- Notify the List Owner – This option is selected by default but if you have a large number of subscribers…Its best to turn this feature off to avoid overwhelming number of emails.
That concludes the “New List Details” section which is a required section (something that must be filled out when creating a New Contact List).
B) Next section is named “Custom Fields” section. If you have created custom fields before, you can select them by clicking on them. They are used when you want to customize your email campaign further. For example, our contact list has a custom field called “Email Plan”. This custom field is used when adding new Email It users to our contact List. We offer a number of plans (monthly plans ranging in amount of emails a user can send and non-expiring plans which have specific email credits). Learn more about custom fields by searching within our blog.
If you haven’t created any Custom Fields, then you can skip this section and move on to the next section.
C) Visible Fields section is used to select or check the fields you want displayed when you click on View all contacts for each of your contact lists. Once you finished creating a demo contact list and added a few contacts, try click on “Contacts” –> “View all Contacts” – You will get an idea of what this section is all about.
D) This is the final section in Contact List creation – Company Details. It is important that all your contact lists have this information filled out. You can use this information as Custom Fields in your email campaign to comply with the CAN-SPAM act.
- Company Name: Some users complained about not having a company, so we suggest filling out your personal information or the organisation you are sending on behalf of.
- Company Address: This is to comply with the CAN-SPAM Act which states that this information must be sent in all your email marketing campaigns.
- Company Phone: This information is also required and must be inserted in all your email marketing campaigns.
That concludes it for now. I hope this brief tutorial on Creating New Contact Lists has been useful. Please use the comments fields below to let us know if you are having trouble anywhere along the way.